ⓘ Piotr Switalski
Piotr Antoni Switalski is a Polish diplomat; permanent representative of Poland to the Council of Europe and ambassador of the European Union to Armenia.
Switalski has graduated from Faculty of Journalism and Political Science at the University of Warsaw and Moscow State Institute of International Relations 1982. In 1985, he defended his Ph.D. dissertation in history.
In 1986, he joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland. He was head of the unit at the Department of European Institutions. From 1990 to 1993 he was First Secretary and Councillor at the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Poland to the United Nations Office and the International Organizations in Vienna. For next three years he held the post of department director at the OSCE Secretary. He returned to the MFA, being responsible mostly for multilateral relations. Between 1999 and 2002 he was serving at the Poland embassy in Nairobi as permanent representative to UNEP and UN-Habitat. Following his directoral post at the MFA Department of Foreign Policy Planning 2002–2005, on 11 January 2005 he was nominated Undersecretary of State at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On 20 September 2005 he became permanent representative of Poland to the Council of Europe in Strasbourg. Ending his term on 1 September 2010, he became director for policy planning at the Council of Europe Secretary. In 2014, he returned to the MFA, Warsaw. He was director of Asia and Pacific Department. From September 2015 to 2019 he was serving as a European Union ambassador to Armenia.
Besides Polish, Switalski speaks English, Russian, German, and French. He is married, with two children.
- Niecierpliwosc swiata. Uwagi o polityce miedzynarodowej czasu globalizacji, Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Scholar, 2008, ISBN 978-83-7383-336-4.
- Emocje, interesy, wartosci. Przemiany paradygmatow polityki miedzynarodowej, Torun: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszalek, 2013, ISBN 978-83-7780-732-3.
- OBWE w systemie bezpieczenstwa europejskiego: szanse i ograniczenia, Warszawa: Instytut Spraw Publicznych, 1997, ISBN 978-83-9062-398-6.
- Europe and the Spectre of Post-Growth Society, Strasburg: Council of Europe, 2014, ISBN 978-92-871-7834-3.
- Droga do Pangei: polityka miedzynarodowa czasu "globalizacyjnej konwergencji”, Torun: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszalek, 2011, ISBN 978-83-7780-056-0.