An animal epithet is a name used to label a person or group, by association with some perceived quality of an animal. Epithets may be formulated as similes, explicitly comparing people with the named animal, or as metaphors, directly naming people as animals. Animal epithets may be pejorative, readily giving offence, and they are sometimes used in political campaigns. One English epithet, lamb, is always used positively. Animal similes and metaphors have been used since classical times, for example by Homer and Virgil, to heighten effects in literature, and to sum up complex concepts conci ...
Culture consists of the social behaviour and norms in human societies transmitted through social learning. Arthropods play many roles in human culture, including as food, in art, in stories, and in mythology and religion. Many of these concern insects, which are important both economically and symbolically, from the work of honeybees to the scarabs of Ancient Egypt. Other arthropods with cultural significance include crustaceans such as crabs, lobsters, and crayfish, which are popular subjects in art, especially still lifes, and arachnids such as spiders and scorpions, whose venom has medi ...
Diseases, both real and fictional, play a significant role in fiction, with certain diseases like Huntingtons disease and tuberculosis appearing in many books and films. Pandemic plagues threatening all human life, such as The Andromeda Strain, are among the many fictional diseases described in literature and film.
Do-it-yourself biology is a growing biotechnological social movement in which individuals, communities, and small organizations study biology and life science using the same methods as traditional research institutions. DIY biology is primarily undertaken by individuals with extensive research training from academia or corporations, who then mentor and oversee other DIY biologists with little or no formal training. This may be done as a hobby, as a not-for-profit endeavour for community learning and open-science innovation, for profit, to start a business. Other terms are also associated w ...
Biology appears in fiction, especially but not only in science fiction, both in the shape of real aspects of the science, used as themes or plot devices, and in the form of fictional elements, whether fictional extensions or applications of biological theory, or through the invention of fictional organisms. Major aspects of biology found in fiction include evolution, disease, genetics, physiology, parasitism and symbiosis, ethology, and ecology. Speculative evolution enables authors with sufficient skill to create what the critic Helen N. Parker calls biological parables, illuminating the ...
Human uses of mammals include both practical uses, such as for food, sport, and transport, and symbolic uses, such as in art and mythology. Mammals have played a crucial role in creating and sustaining human culture. Domestication of mammals was instrumental in the Neolithic development of agriculture and of civilisation, causing farming to replace hunting and gathering around the world, and cities to replace scattered communities. Mammals provide dairy products and much of the meat eaten by the human population, whether farmed or hunted. They also yielded leather and wool for clothing and ...
ⓘ Biology and culture
- biology DIY biology DIY bio is a growing biotechnological social movement in which individuals, communities, and small organizations study biology
- conditions. Microbial cultures are foundational and basic diagnostic methods used as a research tool in molecular biology Microbial cultures are used to determine
- human cultures Evolutionary biology study of the origin and descent of species over time. Evolutionary developmental biology field of biology that
- Cell biology is a branch of biology that studies the structure and function of the cell, also known as the basic unit of life. Cell biology encompasses
- The interdisciplinary study of biology and political science is the application of theories and methods from the biology toward the scientific understanding
- The history of biology traces the study of the living world from ancient to modern times. Although the concept of biology as a single coherent field arose
- Biology appears in fiction, especially but not only in science fiction, both in the shape of real aspects of the science, used as themes or plot devices
- tool for teaching cell biology Research in tissue engineering, stem cells and molecular biology primarily involves cultures of cells on flat plastic
- culture in north - central Europe. It developed as a technological merger of local neolithic and mesolithic techno - complexes between the lower Elbe and
- following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to cell biology Cell biology A branch of biology that includes study of cells regarding their
- assertions, methods for tissue and cell culture have been realized, leading to significant discoveries in biology and medicine. His original idea, presented
- philosophy of biology is a subfield of philosophy of science, which deals with epistemological, metaphysical, and ethical issues in the biological and biomedical