ⓘ Cortez Mountains. The Cortez Mountains are located in north central Nevada in the United States. The range lies in a southwest-northeasterly direction between C ..

                                     

ⓘ Cortez Mountains

The Cortez Mountains are located in north central Nevada in the United States. The range lies in a southwest-northeasterly direction between Crescent Valley and Pine Valley. Mount Tenabo is the principal peak of the range, at 9.153 feet above sea level. Surrounding ranges include: the Shoshone Range to the northwest, the Pinon and Sulphur Springs ranges to the east, the Simpson Park Mountains to the south and the Toiyabe Range to the southwest across the narrow Cortez Canyon. The northeastern end of the range reaches the Humboldt River at Palisade about 9.5 miles southwest of Carlin.

Bureau of land management controls the 70% range, while private lands make up the remaining 30%. Vegetation, primarily pinyon-juniper, mountain shrub, and sagebrush steppe. At least four different species of mice live in the series. Side spots a lizard and a chisel-toothed kangaroo rat also found in the mountains.

The range is named in honour of Hernan Cortes, the 16th-century Spanish Conquistador.