ⓘ 2002 NASCAR Winston Cup Series
The 2002 NASCAR Winston Cup Series was the 54th season of professional stock car racing in the United States and the 31st modern era Cup Series season. It began on February 10, 2002 at Daytona International Speedway, and ended on November 17, 2002 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Tony Stewart, driving for Joe Gibbs Racing, was declared as the Winston Cup champion. Bill Elliott won the 2002 NASCARs Most Popular Driver Award. He would win it for the 16th and final time in his career. He withdrew from the ballot after receiving the award. The NASCAR Manufacturers Championship was captured by Ford after winning 14 events and gaining 245 points over second-place finisher Chevrolet, who had 10 wins and 211 points.
This was the last season for the General body of the template. Next season will require all manufacturers to use the same roof line. The most significant rule changes in 2002 was the implementation of a single engine rules for race weekends. At the event of the race, cars will now be required to practice, qualify and race with the same engine. The rule banned private "qualification system" and "practice" engines. Unapproved modifications to the engine during the weekend will be done with a grid penalty. Before the race, the machine that changed the engines will be forced to move to the rear of the field to the green flag. The rules consisted in an effort to reduce costs and save precious time crews during the racing weekend.
- in 2001 5 - Terry Labonte 2 - time NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion in 1984 and 1996 6 - Mark Martin 1998 The Winston now Sprint All - Star Race XIV winner
- The NASCAR Winston Cup Series era was the period of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing NASCAR from 1971 - 2003. In 1971, NASCAR leased
- when the series began leasing its naming rights to the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, it was referred to as the NASCAR Winston Cup Series 1971 2003
- The 2002 Coca - Cola Racing Family 600, the 43rd running of the event, was a NASCAR Winston Cup Series race held on May 26, 2002 at Lowe s Motor Speedway
- following NASCAR national series were held in 2002 2002 NASCAR Winston Cup Series - The top racing series in NASCAR 2002 NASCAR Busch Series - The second - highest
- The 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup Series was the 55th season of professional stock car racing in the United States and the 32nd modern - era Cup Series season.
- NASCAR Winston Cup Series was the 51st season of professional Stock car racing in the United States, the 28th modern - era Cup series and the last Cup
- The NASCAR Cup Series Drivers Championship is awarded by the chairman of NASCAR to the most successful NASCAR Cup Series racing car driver over a season
- The 2002 Ford 400 was an NASCAR Winston Cup Series race held on November 17, 2002 at Homestead Miami Speedway in Homestead, Florida. Contested over 267
- The 2002 UAW - GM Quality 500 was a NASCAR Winston Cup Series stock car race held at Lowe s Motor Speedway on October 13. Qualifying was canceled because
- The 2002 Mountain Dew Southern 500, the 53rd running of the event, was a NASCAR Winston Cup Series race held on September 1, 2002 at Darlington Raceway