As of 2009, it is estimated that there are 33.3 million people worldwide infected with HIV. HIV/AIDS prevalence rates in South America vary from 0.20% in Bolivia to 1.50% in Trinidad and Tobago.
The Latin American and Caribbean Center on Health Sciences Information or BIREME was founded in São Paulo in 1967 as the Biblioteca Regional de Medicina, a specialized center of the Pan-American Health Organization / World Health Organization. BIREME coordinates the model development of the Virtual Health Library which includes around 20 million references for the access to the scientific and technical literature of the Latin America and Caribbean region.
Operation Continuing Promise is a periodic series of US military exercises conducted under the direction of United States Southern Command. Designated by Roman numeral, or by year ; they provide medical, dental and veterinary aid to people in Latin America. The two American hospital ships, USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy as well as other units participate in Continuing Promise to train their crews as well as supplemental personnel from the other branches of service and volunteer civilian organizations. Each year, The Southern Command changes their "region of focus" for operation Continuing Pro ...
While feminist movements became prevalent in Europe and North America in the 1960s and 1970s, the women of Latin America were gathering to oppose dictatorships and civil wars. As democracy began to spread across the region, feminist movements gradually began to push for more reproductive rights. In the 1990s, many of the groups that made up the womens movement began to evolve in order to adapt to a changing political climate. These groups focused on specific policy issues, such as abortion, and were not composed exclusively of civil society actors. During this same time period, anti-aborti ...
The South American Council of Health, created on December 10, 2008, is a permanent council composed of Ministers from member countries of Unasur. This body was created in order to constitute a space of integration concerning health, incorporating the efforts and improvements from other mechanisms of regional integration, such as MERCOSUR, Organismo Andino de Salud and Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization, to promote common policies and coordinated activities among member countries. It is also a consultation and consensus body concerning health, which intends to delve deeply into relevant ...
The South American Institute of Government in Health is a public intergovernamental institution of UNASUR whose main goal is to promote exchange, critical thinking, knowledge management and generate innovation in policy and governance for health, thus offering South American Health Ministries the best available practices and evidences on health management. It was created by the Heads of State and Government of UNASUR after a proposal of the South American Council of Health gathered in Cuenca, Ecuador, in April 2010. According to the institutes Executive Director Jose Gomes Temporão, "Isags ...
ⓘ Health in South America
- The South American Institute of Government in Health ISAGS is a public intergovernamental institution of UNASUR whose main goal is to promote exchange
- functional health status was published by the Lancet in September 2018. South Korea had the sixth highest level of expected human capital with 26 health education
- health authorities through the exchange of knowledge and technology in the region. The South American Health Council SHC is composed of the Health Ministries
- Encompass Health Corporation formerly Health South Corporation based in Birmingham, Alabama, is one of the United States largest providers of post - acute
- The 2009 flu pandemic in South America was part of a global epidemic in 2009 of a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1, causing what has been
- public health concern for Latin America due to a remaining prevalence of the disease. In 2018 an estimated 2.2 million people had HIV in Latin America and
- of Unasur Union of South American Nations This body was created in order to constitute a space of integration concerning health incorporating the efforts
- The Pan American Health Organization PAHO is an international public health agency working to improve health and living standards of the people of the
- South America is a continent in the Western Hemisphere, mostly in the Southern Hemisphere, with a relatively small portion in the Northern Hemisphere
- Health care in the United States is provided by many distinct organizations. Health care facilities are largely owned and operated by private sector businesses
- Health equity synonymous with health disparity refers to the study and causes of differences in the quality of health and healthcare across different