The Professional Grounds Management Society is an individual membership society of grounds professionals advancing the grounds management profession through education and professional development in the United States. PGMS was officially created in 1911 but the nucleus of the organization began as the National Association of Gardeners in suburban New York and New Jersey in 1905.
A cinder track is a type of race track, generally purposed for track and field or horse racing, whose surface is composed of cinders. For running tracks, many cinder surfaces have been replaced by all-weather synthetic surfaces, which provide greater durability and more consistent results, and are less stressful on runners. The impact on performance as a result of differing track surfaces is a topic often raised when comparing athletes from different eras. Synthetic tracks emerged in the late 1960s; the 1964 Olympics were the last to use a cinder track. The Little 500 bicycle race at India ...
A golf course is the grounds where the game of golf is played. It comprises a series of holes, each consisting of a teeing ground, a fairway, the rough and other hazards, and a green with a flagstick and hole. A standard round of golf consists of 18 holes. Most courses contain 18 holes; some share fairways or greens, and a subset has nine holes, played twice per round. Par-3 courses consist of nine or 18 holes all of which have a par of three strokes. Many older courses are links, often coastal. Courses are private, public, or municipally owned, and typically feature a pro shop. Many priva ...
The Institute of Groundsmanship is the worlds largest not-for-profit organisation representing grounds men. Founded in 1934 by W. H. Bowles as the then National Association of Groundsmen, it has sought to improve both the status and standards of grounds professionals. The Institute offers both short term practical courses with IOG certification and long-term educational qualifications certified by City and Guilds for groundsmen, as well as literature, jobs, a technical reference library, advice and consultancy, a local support network, and updates and newsletters.
The International Association for Sports Surface Sciences is the union of labs and experts in the field of sports surfaces. It was founded in 1985 in Switzerland. Its aims are the exchange of information and ideas regarding testing sports surfaces such as sports hall floors, synthetic surfaces of athletic tracks and artificial turf surfaces. Members are located all over the world. The ISSS is officially related to the IAAF. The ISSS has a board of directors consisting of Hans J. Kolitzus CH/D, Vic Watson GB, Ties Joosten NL and Alastair Cox GB). The head office is located in Switzerland. T ...
Sand-based 0athletic fields are sports turf playing fields constructed on top of sand surfaces. It is important that turf managers select the most suitable type of sand when constructing these fields, as sands with different shapes offer varied pros and cons. Regular maintenance of sand-based athletic fields is just as important as the initial construction of the field. As water and other aqueous solutions are added, a layer of thatch may accumulate on the surface of the turf. There are different ways to manage this level of thatch, however the most common are aeration and vertical mowing. ...
ⓘ Playing field surfaces
- American and Canadian English is playing field or sports field For most sports the official term is field of play although this is not regularly used
- rugby league playing field also referred to as a pitch or paddock, is the playing surface for the sport of rugby league football and is surfaced exclusively
- Swanner Field at Geo Surfaces Park is a softball venue in Thibodaux, Louisiana, United States. It is home to the Nicholls Colonels softball team of the
- turf or synthetic field, as well as an indoor boarded surface Each team plays with ten field players and a goalkeeper. Players commonly use sticks made
- compared to earlier artificial surfaces and allows players to plant and pivot as if they were playing on a grass field Each square foot of turf contains
- below The term minimal surface is used because these surfaces originally arose as surfaces that minimized total surface area subject to some constraint
- of surfaces deals with the differential geometry of smooth surfaces with various additional structures, most often, a Riemannian metric. Surfaces have
- Surface The entire playing surface excluding the pitcher s mound, is Field Turf installed in 2017. Field dimensions: 340 feet down the left field line
- of proprietary man - made surfaces in use at a number of locations around the world. The style of racing differs between surfaces with dirt races tending
- softball and outdoor track teams. Stagg Field has a seating capacity of 1, 650, and the playing surface is made of Field Turf. Enrico Fermi Site of First Self - Sustaining
- triple jump. The 120 - by - 75 - yard 110 by 69 m natural grass playing surface is the home field for the 49ers men s and women s soccer teams, and also accommodates
- football playing field is a venue where Australian rules football is played The playing field is typically a large oval - shaped grass surface often modified