An anglicism is a word or construction borrowed from English into another language. With the rise in Anglophone media and global spread of British and American cultures in the 20th and 21st centuries, many English terms have entered popular usage in other tongues. Technology-related English words like internet and computer are particularly common across the globe, as there are no pre-existing words for them. English words are sometimes imported verbatim, and sometimes adapted to the importing language in a process similar to anglicisation. In languages with non-Latin alphabets, these borro ...
Arberesh is the Albanian speech spoken by the Arbereshe people in Italy, as well as the endonym of the Arvanitic language spoken by Arvanites in Greece.
Chavacano or Chabacano is a group of Spanish-based creole language varieties spoken in the Philippines. The variety spoken in Zamboanga City, located in the southern Philippine island group of Mindanao, has the highest concentration of speakers. Other currently existing varieties are found in Cavite City and Ternate, located in the Cavite province on the island of Luzon. Chavacano is the only Spanish-based creole in Asia. The different varieties of Chavacano differ in certain aspects like vocabulary but they are generally mutually intelligible by speakers of these varieties, especially bet ...
The citron is a large fragrant citrus fruit with a thick rind. It is one of the original citrus fruits from which all other citrus types developed through natural hybrid speciation or artificial hybridization. Though citron cultivars take on a wide variety of physical forms, they are all closely related genetically. It is used widely in Asian cuisine, and also in traditional medicines, perfume, and for religious rituals and offerings. Hybrids of citrons with other citrus are commercially prominent, notably lemons and many limes.
Embarazada is the Spanish word for pregnant. It is a false friend for native English-speaking students of Spanish who may attempt to say "Im embarrassed" by saying estoy embarazada ". This phrase actually means "Im pregnant" in Spanish. This may be confusing to Spanish speakers who are not familiar with the English word.
Created in 1966 by famous couturier Yves Saint Laurent, the Le Smoking tuxedo suit for women was the first of its kind to earn attention in the fashion world and in popular culture. The tuxedo suit was designed for women. The collection created huge negative responses at first. The designer took bits and pieces from both men’s suit and women’s clothing and combined it with new ideas. As the tuxedo was designed for females, they were different from the normal male tuxedo. The collar was more feminine as the shape and curve were more subtle. The waistline of the blouse was narrowed to show t ...
ⓘ False friends
- In linguistics, false friends are words in different languages that look or sound similar, but differ significantly in meaning. An example is the English
- List of Chinese Japanese false friends refer to words of different languages that are similar but have a significantly different and distinct meaning
- etymology The term false cognate is sometimes misused to refer to false friends but the two phenomena are distinct. False friends occur when two words
- Happy Tree Friends False Alarm is a video game based on the Flash cartoon series Happy Tree Friends developed by independent software developer Stainless
- This is a list of English false friends in the constructed language Ido. Dyer s Ido - English dictionary
- novel by The Hardy Boys Happy Tree Friends False Alarm, a 2008 video game based on Happy Tree Friends The False Alarm, a 1926 American silent drama
- False Pretenses is a 1935 American romantic comedy film directed by Charles Lamont and starring Irene Ware. When Mary Beekman Irene Ware loses her waitress
- A false flag is a covert operation designed to deceive the deception creates the appearance of a particular party, group, or nation being responsible
- A false accusation of rape is the reporting of a rape where no rape has occurred. With regard to the rape allegations made to police or campus authority