ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 612

Amettes

A farming village situated some 11 miles 17.7 km west of Bethune and 32 miles 51.5 km southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D69 and the D341 roads and by the banks of the river Nave.

Angres

A farming and light industrial suburb situated just 3 miles 4.8 km southwest of Lens centre, at the junction of the D51 and D58e roads. The A26 autoroute passes by, just within the borders of the commune.

Annay, Pas-de-Calais

A large farming village, with a large lake and marshes, situated some 3 miles 4.8 km northeast of Lens at the junction of the D917 and D39 roads. The canalized Deûle river forms much of the northeast border of the commune.

Annequin

Annequin is a large farming and ex-mining village situated some 4 miles 6.4 km east of Bethune and 22 miles 35.4 km southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D61 and the N41 roads.

Ardres

Ardres is located 10.1 mi by rail station is at Pont-dArdres, a few km from Ardres S.S.E. of Calais, with which it is also connected by a canal with limited turning space. It is one of three towns known as the Les Trois Pays "the Three Countries" ...

Arques, Pas-de-Calais

Arques is situated in the middle of the Hauts-de-France region, 40 km from Calais and Dunkerque, and 45 km from Boulogne-sur-Mer. It lies on the border of the departments of Pas-de-Calais and Nord. The city Neufosse crosses the canal that connect ...

Canton of Arras-1

The canton of Arras-1 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Arras. It consists of the following c ...

Canton of Arras-2

The canton of Arras-2 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Arras. It consists of the following c ...

Canton of Arras-3

The canton of Arras-3 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Arras. It consists of the following c ...

Athies, Pas-de-Calais

Initially, Athies was called Atheiae, a word taken from Latin which means ’’hut’’, which indicates than it was a marshy area with shacks for fishermen or peat-gatherers. In 1493, the village was looted and burned by German soldiers from the garri ...

Les Attaques

A large farming and light industrial village located 4 miles 6 km southeast of Calais, at the junction of the N43 and D248 roads. Both the A26 autoroute des Anglaises’ and the Calais-St. Omer canal pass through the commune.

Auchel

An ex-mining town, nowadays a light industrial & farming commune, situated 8 miles 12.9 km southwest of Bethune and 34 miles 54.7 km southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D183 and the D183E roads.

Auchy-les-Hesdin

Formerly called Auchy-les-Moines, the village owes its origin to the monastery founded by Saint Sylvain, who came here from Toulouse in 700. Destroyed by the Normans, the monastery was rebuilt in the 11th century by the Counts of Hesdin, and entr ...

Auchy-les-Mines

A small ex-coal mining town, now mostly a light engineering and farming commune, situated 6 miles 9.7 km east of Bethune and 12 miles 19.3 km southwest of Lille, at the junction of the N41 and the D163 roads.

Audembert

Two 17th-century manor houses at Noirbernes and Warcove. The church of St. Martin, dating from the nineteenth century. The eighteenth-century Chateau de Warcove.

Audincthun

The eighteenth century church of St. Nicholas. A line of 13 wind turbines are on the hills above the commune. The fifteenth century church of St. Pierre. The Sainte-Soyette Chapel. (Сент-Soyette Церковь)

Audinghen

A farming commune, comprising several hamlets, some 14 miles 23 km north of Boulogne-sur-Mer, at the junction of the D940 and the D191 roads. Cap Gris Nez, the nearest part of France to the English coast, forms the western boundary of the commune.

Audrehem

The communes name is of Germanic origin and dates back to at least the 9th century. It was written in Old Low Franconian as Aldomhem between 844 and 864 and again in 877, and as Aldenehem in 1164. Consisting of inflexions of the element alt "old" ...

Audruicq

Baldwin II, Count of Flanders named it a city in 1175, rebuilding the castle and converting the surrounding marshland to tillable soil. After continuously changing authority between the 13th century and the 17th century, Audruicq finally became a ...

Auxi-le-Chateau

A farming town located 28 miles 45 km northwest of Arras at the junction of the D938, D933 and D941 roads. The Authie river flows through the town, which once divided the commune into two parts, one in the Pas-de-Calais and the other in the Somme ...

Avesnes-le-Comte

The church of St. Nicholas, with the apse dating from the twelfth century. The town hall, built in 1830. An ancient cemetery. (Древнее кладбище) The war memorial. (Военный мемориал) The motte of a 12th-century castle.

Avion, Pas-de-Calais

Avion is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Hauts-de-France region of France. Cyril Faidherbe, known for his motto "binousse la vie", grew up in this city.

Ayette

LEglise Sainte-Libaire, rebuilt after 1918, along with the rest of the village. The CWGC maintains two cemeteries: The British Cemetery and the Indian and Chinese cemetery. There is also a British Cemetery in Douchy-les-Ayette, about a kilometer ...

Balinghem

The sixteenth-century church of the Nativite-de-Notre-Dame. The remains of a chateau where Henry VIII and Francis I of France met, at the Field of the Cloth of Gold in 1520.

Beaurainville

In 1064, two years before the Battle of Hastings, Harold Godwinson, then Earl of Wessex, was shipwrecked on the shores of Ponthieu and captured by Guy I, Count of Ponthieu d.1100 who took him to his castle of Beaurain, situated 24.5 km 15.2 mi up ...

Bellebrune

The church of St. Leu, dating from the fifteenth century. The ruins of an 11th-century castle. The Chateau de La Villeneuve, dating from the seventeenth century.

Belle-et-Houllefort

A farming and quarrying commune, some 8 miles 13 km northeast of Boulogne, at the junction of the N42, D233 and the D238 roads and by the banks of the river Wimereux.

Bellinghem

Bellinghem is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department of northern France. The municipality was established on 1 September 2016 and consists of the former communes of Herbelles and Inghem.

Benifontaine

A farming village situated just 4 miles 6.4 km north of Lens at the junction of the N47 and D39 roads. The airport of Lens-Benifontaine code LFQL is located in the commune.

Canton of Bethune

The canton of Bethune is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Bethune. It consists of the following ...

Beuvrequen

A farming commune, some 6 miles 9.7 km northeast of Boulogne, at the junction of the D241 and the D241e roads, by the banks of the river Slack. The A16 autoroute passes through the commune, forming its southeastern border.

Canton of Beuvry

The canton of Beuvry is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Beuvry. It consists of the following c ...

Billy-Berclau

A small town 10 miles 16.1 km east of Bethune and 12 miles 19.3 km southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D163 and N47 roads. It is situated at the junction of the Canal de la Deûle and the Canal dAire. Light industry and a little farming hav ...

Billy-Montigny

An ex-coalmining industrial town situated just 4 miles 6.4 km east of the centre of Lens at the junction of the N43 and D46 roads. The coal lasted just over 100 years, the last pits closing in the 1960s.

Blendecques

A town situated 3 miles 5 km south of Saint-Omer, at the junction of the D77, D210 and D211 roads. The river Aa flows through the commune. The town has a football team and a basketball team.

Blessy, Pas-de-Calais

It is a farming village some 14 miles 22.5 km northwest of Bethune and 32 miles 51.5 km west of Lille, at the junction of the D159 and D189 roads, with the A26 autoroute passing by less than half a mile away.

Bomy

Bomy is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Hauts-de-France region in northern France. He was surrounded by the common Beaumetz-Les-Aire, Ernie-Saint-Julien and Laires, Bomy is located 19 km southwest of Saint-Omers largest city.

Canton of Boulogne-sur-Mer-1

The canton of Boulogne-sur-Mer-1 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Boulogne-sur-Mer. It consi ...

Canton of Boulogne-sur-Mer-2

The canton of Boulogne-sur-Mer-2 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Boulogne-sur-Mer. It consi ...

Boulonnais (land area)

The Boulonnais is a coastal area of northern France, around Calais and Boulogne-sur-Mer. It has a curved belt of chalk downs which run into the sea at both ends, and geologically is the east end of the Weald-Artois Anticline.

Bouquehault

The church of St. Omer, dating from the sixteenth century. The nineteenth centuryChateau de Dippendal. The remains of an old chateau. A ruined windmill, built in 1868.

Bourecq

A farming village some 10 miles 16.1 km northwest of Bethune and 31 miles 49.9 km west of Lille, at the junction of the D94E3 and N43 roads, with the A26 autoroute passing by less than a mile away.

Bouvigny-Boyeffles

The radio and TV transmitter. The modern church of St. Martin. The eighteenth-century chateau of Boyeffles. The church of St. Marin, dating from the fifteenth century.

Canton of Brebieres

The canton of Brebieres is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Brebieres. It consists of the follo ...

Brimeux

The village name first appears in 1042 in a royal charter and was then written Brivermacum, a Latin name from the Celtic for bridge. Over the years, it has had different spellings such as Brivamagus, Brivomagus, Brimeaus in 1153, Brimodio and Bri ...

Buire-le-Sec

One of the most beautiful and oldest in the arrondissement of Montreuil. It was built in the 12th century, though all that remains of that church are the foundations. Some 13th century features remain, but mostly it is of 16th century constructio ...

Burbure

The war memorial. (Военный мемориал) The Church of St. Gervais and Protais, dating from the fifteenth century, was expanded and renovated in 1870. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery.

Busnes

A farming village some 8 miles 12.9 km northwest of Bethune and 23 miles 37.0 km west of Lille, at the junction of the D916, D94 and the D187 roads.

Canton of Calais-1

The canton of Calais-1 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Calais. It consists of the following ...

Canton of Calais-2

The canton of Calais-2 is an administrative division of the Pas-de-Calais department, in northern France. It was created at the French canton reorganisation which came into effect in March 2015. Its seat is in Calais. It consists of the following ...